Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy Independence Day

As I write, I can hear the music from the town hall. Today is Independence Day. On 16th December, 1991 Kazakhstan adopted the Constitutional Law on the independence of the Republic of Kazakhstan. When I was at the museum across the road with Zhanar they have a room dedicated to the signing, and all the aspects of statehood. It is a wonderful room to check out. Today schools and business were closed for the day, but it was a regular day at the stores, markets and cafes. I kept thinking it was the weekend, I forgot it was Thursday.

I arranged not to call my brother this morning as I wasn't going to the baby house, so I could sleep in. Yup, I got up just after 6:30. Instead I watched t.v. I got to watch Larry King's second last live show. Gosh I think I'll get up tomorrow morning too to watch his last show. How exciting! (Please read the last two statements with LOTS of sarcasm)

Last night my cell phone was working hard. First I was talking to L and A who FINALLY returned here to be reunited with their son. It was nice to be talking locally with them, even if it is only for a few days. Later Kendra and I were on the phone talking about our plans for today. She was settling her new daughter for her second night together. And later I spoke to Diane who was on the other side of the country with her new daughter and their first night together. 3 children joined their forever families. I will admit I am envious but there success is the hope that keeps one going.

Kendra and I met at her apartment to go on an outing with her daughter. We had planned to check out Galaxy, but it didn't open until 1 p.m. (nap time), so we walked down to the mall past the mosque. I know it has a proper name but I can't remember what the name is. While at the mall Kendra bought a stroller for her daughter. It seems like a good one, but you should have seen the two of us losers trying to figure out how to open the darn thing. Finally the mall security officer took pity on us and opened it. There is so much to explore at that mall. It is about a 30 minute walk from my apartment. I plan to return to explore more.

We ate lunch in the little cafe on the main floor of the mall. They have an English menu, but don't have many of the items on the menu. We decided on a dish with pork, potatoes, onion, tomato and garlic. It came on one of those cast iron hot plates, and it was a mess of french fries mixed with garlic, onions and beef. It was surprisingly good, but definitely greasy. Kendra's daughter was hysterical as she quietly told her mother that she wanted more from the plate. We giggled each time she told her mother off.

After lunch we walked back to Kendra's apartment. It doesn't have an elevator, and Kendra's flat is on the 4th floor. That will make using the stroller a challenge until Kendra's mother comes. I said I'll just come upstairs next time on our outings. I'm really beginning to feel confident walking around town. But, Nadia my friend you would be completely and forever lost here as it is nearly impossible to distinguish one building from another and one of the major cell phone internet providers is Bee and they have their bubble bee advertisements EVERYWHERE!

Later I went over to the Chagala Hotel where L and A are staying. I was able to give them some things they need and they gave me some things they brought from Canada for me. We visited for about 2 hours in the really nice apartment unit they are staying in. I'll use one when I return here to collect MLM.

Well it is full dark now and I'm hoping that the fireworks everyone has told me about will actually take place.

Paka paka.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele,

Sounds like you have found my favourite place - the tropicana mall near the new mosque - happy shopping.We stayed in this area and yes, there is much to explore and good places to eat.

So glad things are going well for you and YLM and that you have your court date. Such a milestone. I hope the weather continues to be kind to you.

Amanda and Sophie