Sunday, October 23, 2011

Canakaz Republic Day

Today was our 5th Annual Day get together. 5 years ago 2 families, one who had already a little boy from Kazakhstan and another family beginning the journey decided that it would be wonderful to bring the families who were a part of an on-line community together for a party.

At first they thought that 5 families would be getting together, on the day I think we were over 50 people. Instead of an intimate house party we had to use a community center. Most families were in the paper chase stage (as I was at the time) or waiting for their LOI. I met both Loretta and Diane that day, never knowing that they would become so important to me.

On that first day there were 3 children at the party who had been born in Kazakhstan. Wow, how the times have changed. Today we were a small group of 11 families with 12 children born in Kazakhstan. Sometimes we are almost 30 families. It is wonderful to get together and see how the children have grown. Each party (we also have a party in March to celebrate Nauryz) there is a new little one or two to meet and marvel over. Today there was a new little one born in Russia not far from her big brother's hometown of Uralsk.

Having a party with a dozen children between the ages of 7 and 18 month it is amazingly relaxed. Oh, don't get me wrong there are lots of squabbles over toys, there are lots of 2 to 4 year olds. Diane found us this old lawn bowling club which is a wonderful location. There is a kitchen so we are able to have a pot luck meal. And the room has great floor to ceiling window looking out onto the bowling greens. The children run around and have a blast while we parents get a chance to talk and catch up.

I have to say though, it is SO MUCH more fun going to these parties now that I have Denis.

I didn't take any photos as Denis had the camera today. I'll have to look at his pictures to see if there are any I can put on the blog.

No comments: