Saturday, July 25, 2009

Adoption Reading

As I wait, I've been doing a lot of reading about adoption and the parenting of adopted children.



At the moment I'm reading Patty Cogen's Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child: From Your First Hours Through the Teen Years.

The book is a great mix of research, practical suggestions and first hand examples. Cogen is family therapist assisting families who have adopted international. She frequently refers to a program she runs called 'First Year Home' with families as they negotiate their first year after forever family day.

I'm presently on page 103 of the 413 page book. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time remembering what I've already read. That's what I get for trying to read during the school year. I'll reread it this summer and write up some notes for myself. I always remember 'stuff' better if I read and write notes.

No comments: